Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Thing 4 - Digital Footprint

As I uploaded my holiday snaps onto my PC I was asked the question 'do you wish to upload all?' I merrily hit yes and then was slightly confused as I didn't recognise the pictures in front of me. Confusion gave way to discomfort and then realisation - unwittingly I had uploaded pictures from my husbands phone whilst he was on an expedition in Canada. It felt like a total invasion of his privacy and was so easily done. A couple of days later I sent a picture to a friend of a surprise sign my daughter had made for his return and then immediately realised my mistake - if I could see what he was doing, he could see what I was doing. Absolutely no harm done either way but it did demonstrated that the information we assume is our own is actually not. Luckily a google search revealed a couple of news paper articles but I was horrified that my maiden name had my home address linked to it - it's not information that I would ever share with a service user, yet it was readily accessible. The video was a good reminder and also very true - the first thing I did after meeting my daughters new nursery teacher was to google her and search for her on Facebook - it would be naive to think that parents of the children I work with don't do likewise. The location history was also fascinating and showed where we had travelled over the last few years. On reflection, being aware and understanding it will be our biggest protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment